
We had a great and dreadful time dipnetting at the mouth of the Kenai this year (dreadful for the fish and or our pack up job! :)).
.jpg)
It was an adventure, our first time camping on a beach, we improvised our car mat into a tent rug entry...bad idea but, good effort!
.jpg)
It was sunny the first day and rainy, windy and cold on the second. We were very happy to be packed up and in the car by the end. The fish run was slow but, we still managed to have the excitement of feeling a few salmon tugging in our nets. It is one of my top experiences in Alaska, seeing all of the folks lined up on the shores with their nets in the water and family and friends on the beach watching for them to pull in their nets and start the process of "processing" the fish. Some do everything there on the beach, which makes for plenty of work on the part of the seagulls. This year I saw a few people quickly filetting their salmon with ulu knives, some on coolers, wooden
.jpg)
planks or even well-used ironing boards! I love the atmosphere, even with the fish remains (you should see those Kings!), there are a lot of families there, kids playing on the beach or helping out with the fishing. It's great. We even ran into the Elders serving in the Kenai area, one of them was in our Anchorage ward last year, Elder Bedke from Oakley, Idaho. We wore mom out, but she was great sport and the toys she brought were a big hit with the girls while they played in the tent on the second day!
3 comments:
Wow! I am jealous. I want fresh fish! I just dished out a ton of money for something you caught in your own backyard! You are looking really skinny, is it the cool water pants? Eat some cake.
Hello chicka! Nice catch!
Andrea
I don't know how I missed this post of yours, but I did. It's fun to see you camping on the beach. What a truly great "Alaska" experience. I bet there are vivid memories centered around just the SMELL!
Post a Comment